About Me

My photo
Eastbourne, East Sussex, United Kingdom
I live for originality and people with something to say. If you have an opinion then we will get on just fine. I appreciate everything I have in life and I've learnt a lot. I'm a happy go lucky, quirky girly and for some reason I like being called Case :] <3

Thursday 22 December 2011

Red card to racism

Unbelievable.

  Now, I'm not a football fan, in fact, I don't really follow any type of sport, apart from the occasional glance at the Olympics when it's on. However, one news story that caught my attention was the Luis Suarez story. If you haven't heard it then please find it and give it a read. 
  This taken from the BBC Sport site is loosely what has happened:
'Suarez was handed an eight-game ban and £40,000 fine after he used "insulting words in reference to Manchester United defender Evra's colour".'
  
   I don't know whether the allegations made are true but if they are how are these the only actions being taken against Suarez? It is absolutely irrelevant who it is that has made these type of remarks, being that it could have been another football player or even someone participating in another sport. Yet, how is this a justified punishment if someone is 'guilty' of this? This is meant to be one of the 'hardest sanctions handed down in English Football' according to Alejandro Balbi, Luis Suarez' agent.
  It has been stated that Suarez earns £80,000 a week, so how does £40,000 make any difference to him, really? If this was any other situation for example, in an office environment, you could either be given a warning, or if said allegations proved to be true; fired.

  If people are so keen to stop racism in football why are those that commit these 'crimes' made a show of and completely removed from the game. Yet, surely that wouldn't happen it's all money after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment